Dirty vents don’t just adversely affect you; they can also adversely affect your air conditioner and its operation. Because ductwork is largely not visible, it can be easy to forget that, like other parts of your air conditioner, it needs cleaning and maintenance, too. Accessing ductwork and cleaning it properly can be tricky, which is why it’s important to use certified technicians, like the ones at Downtown Air & Heat, to conduct the duct cleaning for your property.
What Happens During a Duct Cleaning?
Here is a general overview of what happens during a routine duct cleaning appointment:
- The technician will cover all nearby furniture and carpets with protective coverings
- The technician will open your ductwork at access points and portals and thoroughly inspect your entire system
- He/she will then employ the use of professional-grade, HEPA filtered vacuums to remove the dirt, dust and debris from your ductwork
- He/she may then use a mechanical brush and vacuum to scrape off and remove any debris stuck in your ducts
- Visual equipment, such as cameras and periscopes, may be used to inspect for any missed areas or lingering debris
- Once the technician confirms all debris has been removed from the vents, he/she will close the system
How Does Duct Cleaning Help Your AC?
A professional duct cleaning can help your air conditioner in the following ways:
- Better energy efficiency – large amounts of dust and dirt build-up in your system can constrict air flow, which can make your air conditioner struggle. Any time your AC operates under stress, it uses more power. By removing the excess dust and debris with a thorough duct cleaning, you can help your AC “breathe” better, and alleviate extra power usage.
- Reveals other potential problems – it can be hard to see holes and cracks when the vent work is extremely dirty. Holes and cracks contribute to air loss, which can tax your system and drive up energy costs. By cleaning your ductwork, you’ll be able to see if there are any developing problems with your vents.
- Less stress on your system – excessive dust and dirt can put undue stress on your system. Undue stress can prematurely age your systems and its components, making it more prone to malfunction and breakdown.
Ductwork should be cleaned about every 3-5 years – when was the last time yours was cleaned? If it’s been longer than 5 years, it may be time to schedule duct cleaning for your property. Call Downtown Air & Heat today and schedule duct cleaning in Altamonte Springs with one of our ductwork specialists.